Cancelled due To Covid-19 Precautions Wisconsin’s Early Forest Rangers
August 8 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 pm
Rest Lake was the site of one of the first four ranger stations and watch towers in the state of Wisconsin. The home to ranger Krueger in 1911-12, Rest Lake ranger station (Angler’s Restaurant) symbolizes some of the earliest conservation actions that shaped the Northwoods. Join Jim Bokern at the Koller Library as he shares the impressive story of Wisconsin’s Earliest Forest Rangers with new research and images.
In 1904, E. M. Griffith was hired as the first State Forester to create a comprehensive forestry management system. Griffith’s multi-faceted approach to forestry and ambitious goals required a new kind of state employee who could advance the mission of forestry on the ground while overcoming the rugged challenges of Wisconsin’s Northwoods. Griffith envisioned a specialized forest ranger to manage the forest reserve in Vilas, Iron, Oneida and forest counties. By 1924, these lands became the Northern Highland (American Legion) forests and the largest state forest.
As folks enjoy living or visiting “Up North,” it’s important that they understand the abundance of public natural resources stem from careful planning, hard work and formative leadership, thereby ensuring our access to a wealth of lakes, forests and streams.